What Is Sedation Dentistry?
The goal of sedation dentistry is to help those who are nervous or anxious about receiving necessary oral health care, including root canal therapy, endodontic surgery, or dental implants, to be less fearful of treatment. Sedation options offered at Endodontic & Implantology Associates in San Jose allow you to remain awake but in a relaxed state so that your treatment can be performed safely.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry in Endodontic Treatment
The overarching benefit of sedation is to ensure that patients who experience dental phobia or anxiety about receiving vital dental care can receive that care. Other, specific benefits may include:
- Making the procedure appear to go faster
- Enhanced comfort during endodontic treatment
- Limiting memory of the treatment
- Helping children to remain still during necessary endodontic treatment
- Helping to relax the throat during treatments
- Few side effects
Sedation Options for Endodontic Treatment & Dental Implants
At Endodontic & Implantology Associates, we prioritize patient comfort and exceptional outcomes. To that end, we offer the following sedation options.
- Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas). Nitrous oxide has been used as a mild sedative in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is administered through a small mask placed over the nose. It works quickly and Nitrous oxide wears off within minutes of the gas being turned off. Laughing gas is safe for all ages.
- Oral Sedation. For those who experience fear about going to an office for endodontic treatment, oral sedation is available. You will be prescribed a sedative medication that you will take approximately one hour before your appointment. The effects of oral sedation last hours, so you must have someone bring you to your appointment and home from your appointment. You must also avoid alcohol, or operating any machinery until the following day.
- IV Sedation and General Anesthesia. At Endodontic and Implantology, we offer comprehensive IV sedation and general anesthesia services to ensure a comfortable and anxiety-free experience for our patients during complex procedures. Intravenous (IV) sedation involves administering a sedative drug directly into the bloodstream through a vein, inducing a deep state of relaxation while allowing patients to remain conscious and responsive. This technique is particularly beneficial for individuals with mild to moderate anxiety, creating a calm environment that facilitates effective dental work.
For those requiring a more profound level of unconsciousness, our office provides general anesthesia services. This involves a carefully monitored administration of medications that induce a state of controlled unconsciousness, ensuring patients are entirely unaware and without discomfort during procedures. Our experienced team of professionals prioritizes patient safety, employing advanced monitoring techniques to oversee vital signs throughout the process. These sedation options enhance the overall patient experience, making Endodontic and Implantology a trusted choice for those seeking specialized dental care with personalized and compassionate attention to their comfort and well-being.
Are You A Good Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
If you do not have anxiety or fear of dental care, sedation dentistry is not necessary. However, if you’re one of the millions of people in America who struggle with dental phobia, or anxiety disorders, sedation dentistry can help you relax enough to receive the crucial care that you need.
In some cases, those who have a strong gag reflex may also be good candidates for sedation dentistry.
Before prescribing any form of medication, your medical history, your overall health, and all medications you take must be evaluated.