What is a Sinus Lift?
A sinus lift is a bone graft procedure that strengthens the upper jaw to prepare for dental implants, implant-supported dentures, or implant-supported dental bridges. Sometimes referred to as a sinus augmentation, this procedure is done to lift the maxillary sinus to create room for new bone in the upper jaw.
A sinus lift is a common bone grafting procedure for patients who are missing upper molars but do not have enough jaw bone to support dental implants. Because the maxillary sinuses sit directly above the molars, without sufficient bone, there is a risk that an implant could penetrate the sinus. A sinus lift prevents this by adding bone and strengthening existing bone to place the implant firmly and safely.
The sinus lift procedure requires a small incision in the gum to expose the jaw bone. Then a bone graft is placed to promote bone and tissue regeneration.
Benefits of A Sinus Lift
A sinus lift is most often performed to prepare for dental implants. But there are other benefits of a sinus lift including:
- Restores normal function of the mouth (chewing, biting, talking)
- Prevents further loss of jaw bone
- Prevents additional tooth loss
- Regenerates upper jaw bone lost due to periodontal disease
Are You a Good Candidate for A Sinus Lift?
Patients who are best suited for a sinus lift at Endodontic & Implantology Associates in San Jose are those who are:
- Preparing for dental implants
- Missing one or more molars on the upper jaw
- Are missing teeth due to a congenital condition or injury
- Preparing for implant-supported restorations (dental bridge, dentures)